替代表泛指的复数名词,通常用 ones.如:
Hard beds are healthier than soft ones.硬板床比软床有利于健康.
Green apples often taste better than red ones.青苹果往往比红苹果好吃.
We can lend you plastic chairs or metal ones.我们可以借给你塑料椅子或者金属椅子.
These chairs have the great advantage of being much cheaper than conventional ones.这些椅子具有比普通椅子便宜得多的优势.
替代表泛指的单数名词,通常用 one.如:
Two heads are better than one.两人智慧胜一人.
I lost my old camera; this is a new one.我的旧相机丢了,这是一架新的.
Did you get a ticket?—Yes,I managed to get one.你搞到票了吗?——是的,我设法搞到了一张.
注:若 one 前没有形容词的修饰,则其前不能有不定冠词.比较:
I’m looking for a flat.I’d like a small one with a garden.我正在找一套公寓,想找一套小的带花园的.
I’m looking for a flat.I’d like one with a garden.我正在找一套公寓,想找一套带花园的.(不能说:...a one with a garden.)
没有形容词修饰的 one 前不能用不定冠词,但可用 another.如:
This pen doesn’t work.I must buy another one.这支钢笔坏了,我要另买一支了.
另外,注意它与表特指的 it 的区别.如:
Can you lend me a pen?—Sorry.I haven’t got one.你能借给我一支钢笔吗?——对不起,我没有钢笔.
Can I borrow your pen?—Sorry,I’m using it.我能借用你的钢笔吗?——对不起,我自己正在用.